I don’t know about you, but when summer is around the corner and the days are getting longer and warmer, I want to put fresh green foods into my belly. I start craving the lighter flavours and use more spices and herbs that bless me with their green presence in my little garden. Particularly Basil. I get addicted to Basil. It’s sweet anise like scent and flavor, and it’s freshness. And there is no denying the power of Basil! Basil is a powerhouse of goodness!
Basil is not just another pretty green in your herb garden. Basil is packed with nutrients that make you shine from the inside out.
- Vitamin K that helps the mineralization process that strengthens your bones.
- Minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium
- Excellent source of Iron, an important component of hemoglobin inside the red blood cells.
- Vitamin A, an antioxidant that is essential for healthy vision and maintaining healthy mucous membranes and skin.
Basil is known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties and helps to block enzymes that cause swelling.
Holy Basil, also called Tulsi, found in Ayurvedic medicine, is an adaptogen often used in stress conditions, and to support normal blood sugar levels and liver function.
You see, Basil is a powerhouse of goodness.
For a taste of Basil try this Pesto recipe. My mom has made this Pesto for over twenty years now, and I have happily adopted it into my own kitchen.
I like my Pesto with Soba Noodles and finely julienned or spiraled Zucchini.
The healthy amount of Garlic in this recipe will clean out your sinuses and may also clear out your house, so make sure everybody in your household eats it.
50g fresh garlic
50g pine nuts
50g freshly grated parmesan cheese
75g fresh basil
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Put all ingredients into blender or food processor and pulse until it has the consistency you like, nice and creamy or with bigger pieces still left in it.
2. Mix with the appropriate amount of spaghetti. Whole-wheat, Rice Pasta, or Soba Noodles. Serve and enjoy while still hot.
If you liked this post, please share it with your friends and leave a comment below. If you want to be updated regularly subscribe to our newsletter below!